AFP lauds CPP-NPA’s ceasefire order

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) appreciated the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Philippines in their declaration of ceasefire as a sign of solidarity with the nation in the Christmas and New Year celebration.

The National Democratic Front (NDF), through their website, declared a 12-day halt in crossfire Tuesday to “all commands and units of the New People’s Army and the people’s militias” beginning December 23, 2015 until 11:59 PM of January 3, 2016.

“During the ceasefire period, all NPA units and people’s militias shall cease and desist from carrying out offensive military operations against the armed units and personnel of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP) and other paramilitary and armed groups attached to the Government of the Republic of the Philippines,” the NDF said in the statement.

Eastern Mindanao Command (EastMinCom) Major General Rey Guerrero said the ceasefire order was a welcome development for them.

Guerrero also urged the Leftist group to descend to the city and celebrate the occasion along with their families and recognize their role in the society.

“Mas mabuti bumaba na sila and spend time with their family at baka while they are with their families, they will be able to rethink their position and realize the fact that they are missing a lot while being there in the mountains fighting a cause that has no relevance in today’s society especially na ang gobyerno natin ay really keen in pushing for the development of our country,” said Guerrero.

(It is better if they go down and spend time with their family and perhaps while they are with their families, they will be able to rethink their position and realize the fact that they are missing a lot while being there in the mountains fighting for a cause that has no relevance in today’s society especially that our government is really keen in pushing for the development of our country.)

He hoped that the CPP-NPA will not breach their own ceasefire declaration.

“We just hope that they will remain true and sincere sa kanilang intent to have a ceasefire kasi baka mamaya, nagsi-ceasefire tapos biglang maglo-launch sila ng mga tactical offensive, papasok sila sa mga communities at gagawa ng hindi kanais-nais dun, so we just hope that they will be true and faithful dun sa kanilang intent,” said Guerrero.

(We just hope that they will remain true and sincere in their intention to have a ceasefire because we might not know they will launch tactical offenses and enter into communities and create mayhem so we just hope that they will be true and faithful in their intention.)

Despite the ceasefire order, he said the military remained to be on heightened alert for the possible threats to the EastMinCom’s areas of responsibilities.

Meanwhile, the military also prepares for the upcoming CPP-NPA anniversary.

According to NDF, the ceasefire order will also “enable the revolutionary forces to carry out mass assemblies and public demonstrations to mark the 47th anniversary of the CPP and celebrate revolutionary victories of the past year.”

Guerrero of the EastMinCom said they had been on heightened alert since October.

Among their preparations were the deployment of combat patrols and peace and security immersions in baranggays.

| Published in 105.9 Balita FM Facebook page: AFP lauds CPP-NPA’s ceasefire order, December 16, 2015

Advertisements

PDEA XI nabs 6M worth of drugs

The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) Davao Region seized about 700 grams of drugs equivalent to 6 million pesos.

PDEA 11 regional director Adzhar Albani said the drugs confiscated in an interception operation was enclosed in a package wherein 500 grams came from Paranaque City while the other 200 grams came from Iloilo City.

Aside from the drugs, the agency was able to arrest the consignees of the packages, one through a buy-bust operation while the other was through interdiction operation.

“We cannot divulge their identity. The cases now are being filed in court. We arrested one consignee through buy-bust and the other was through interdiction operation,” he said.

He also bared that the consignees are residents of Matina, Davao City and Davao Oriental.

Albani said large amounts of drugs enter the city through airports in the guise of mails and parcels.

“Most of the drugs coming in by bulk pass through airports, meaning mga parcel na yan. Nakukuha namin yung mga droga na malakihan by half kilo o 1 kilo pataas, nandyan sa mga mail and parcel services,” he said.

(Most of the drugs coming in by bulk pass through airports in parcels. We have seized as much as half-kilo to 1 kilo above, packed in mail and parcel services.)

The agency intensified their anti-drug operation by creating the Airport Interdiction Unit who will constantly monitor the entry of illegal drugs in airports .

“We have 24/7 composite team lead by PDEA and that is one of the measures we are placing to prevent the influx of drugs in Davao City or in Davao Region,” he said.

The interdiction unit is composed of the personnel from the PDEA, National Bureau of Investigation (NBI), Bureau of Customs (BoC), Philippine National Police-Aviation Security Group (PNP-AvSeG) and Francisco Bangoy International Airport.

| Published in 105.9 Balita FM Facebook page: PDEA XI nabs 6M worth of drugs, December 10, 2015

Duterte admits possible chaos if disqualified

Davao City Mayor and presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte admitted a possible turmoil in case the Commission on Election (COMELEC) disqualifies on the upcoming 2016 Elections.

In his Sunday program Gikan sa Masa, Para sa Masa, he said a disqualification decision similar to what happened to Senator Grace Poe may cause the Moro’s and the Leftists’ uproar.

Senator Grace Poe was disqualified by the COMELEC 2nd Division last December 1 due to the failure in fulfilling the 10-year residency requirement for a presidential aspirant.

“I think there will be a rumble dito sa Moro kasi medyo Duterte yan because of my blood ties and the Left, magwala din yan because I’d like to tell you now that I am left and I have always been connected with them,” said Duterte.

(I think there will be a rumble here with the Moro because they are pro-Duterte due to our blood ties. And the Left might be enraged because I’d like to tell you now that I am a leftist and I have always been connected with them.)

He also added his supporters will disagree if he decides to withdraw his candidacy since one of the reasons for running is already almost out of the race, Senator Poe.

He decided to run for president. on November 23 when the Senate Electoral Tribunal favored Poe in the disqualification petition raised against the senator.

But Duterte said he will still wait for the final verdict of the Supreme Court regarding Senator Poe’s disqualification case.

Meanwhile, the mayor is facing a petition to the COMELEC First Division against his substitution to former Partido Demokratiko Pilipino – Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) standard bearer Martin Diño.

One Ruben Castro petitioned after knowing that Diño filed a certificate of candidacy for Pasay City mayorship instead of the presidency.

Castro also claimed that Duterte should not become Diño’s proxy because of the possibility of the latter to be declared by the COMELEC as a nuisance candidate.

However, the mayor said he is ready whatever the COMELEC decides.

“When they can decide, either way, I will abide their decision. I will never be the same again kasi wala na akong mapuntahan so I will retire for good,” said Duterte.

The hearing for his disqualification case is set on December 16, a day before COMELEC releases the final list of 2016 Election official presidential candidates.

| Published in 105.9 Balita FM Facebook page: Duterte admits possible chaos if disqualified, December 7, 2015

GMEA 2015: Epitomes of media excellence named

Nine journalists and bloggers from Visayas and Mindanao have proved that they exhibit exemplary journalistic works as recognized by a telecommunication giant, Globe Telecom in the Globe Media Excellence Awards.

Ben Jason Tesiorna of CNN Philippines was hailed as Reporter of the Year for Television for his story entitled “The Man Who Thanked HIV for New Life” and his story “Davao City’s Best Water was awarded as the Explanatory/ Investigative Story of the Year for Television.

For the Reporter of the Year for Radio, Big Jay Lagang of 105.9 Balita FM emerged winner for his story about “Indigenous Student Education”. The same award was bagged last year by his colleague in the same media outlet, Rommel Aquino.

The Reporter of the Year for Print was given to Henrylito D. Tacio of Edge Davao for his story “HIV/AIDS cases in Davao Growing” and his story “Davao City: Before and After” were adjudged as the Explanatory/Investigative Story for Print/Online.

Sunstar Davao’s Seth C. Delos Reyes became the recipient of the Photojournalist of the Year award for the photo “Playground” while Mindanao Bulletin’s Fred C. Lumba is the Columnist of the Year for his column entitled “Federalism is good for the country.”

For the digital media, the blog post “It’s Hard to be a Kid in Kiahe” by Ariel Lalisan in his blog Living in the South made him the Blogger of the Year while Olan Emboscado’s vlog post “ Into the Heart of Agusan Marsh” in the The Travel Teller made him the Social Media Advocate of the Year.

The storytellers competed in the different categories along with 58 other journalists of media organizations hailing as far as Zamboanga, General Santos, Cagayan de Oro and Davao.

“The number of entries that we received this year is a testament to the commitment of media practitioners to provide exemplary reporting in their respective fields given the vital role of the press in effecting positive societal transformation and nation-building,” said Globe Senior Vice President for Corporate Communications Yoly Crisanto in a statement.

The winners for the Reporter of the Year and Investigative Stories for TV, Print/Online, and Radio, received 20,000 pesos each and 5,000 for their editors.

Meanwhile, the Photojournalist, Blogger and Social Media Advocate of the Year received 10,000 pesos while the Columnist of the Year was given 15,000 pesos. All of them were given trophies.

| Published in 105.9 Balita FM Facebook page: GMEA 2015: Epitomes of media excellence named, December 4, 2015

DOH XI: UCCP Haran sanitation ‘manageable’, to provide add’l comfort rooms

Contrary to the grave representation of the City Health Office (CHO), the regional health office described the sanitation situation of the Lumads in the UCCP Haran as ‘manageable’.

This after the team of Department of Health XI regional director Abdullah Dumama conducted an inspection in the area Thursday.

“Pagdating ko doon, I didn’t expect that kasi lumalabas na napakasobra na. Though merong water and sanitation problem but manageable na man,” said Dumama.

(I did not expect the situation when I arrived there because what I know it was worse. Though there are water and sanitation problem, but it is manageable.)

Because of this, the office is set to put up six additional comfort rooms and six more bathrooms for the settlers.

“Sa ngayon ready na ang ating mga gamit pero maaaring mga next week sisimulan yung anim na bowls para gamitin sa CR (comfort rooms) tapos yung mga gamit pina-emergency purchase na namin sa DRMC (Davao Regional Medical Center),” he said.

(For now, our materials are ready and we can start mounting the six bowls for the comfort rooms while the rest, we already requested the DRMC to purchase it.)

In order to prevent the possible spread of diseases, the DOH also coordinated with DRMC for the fumigation schedule of the compound but permission from the chieftain and the compound caretakers must first be sought.

The DOH also provides medical services to the Lumads every Tuesday and Friday to be administered by the medical teams from the health office and the DRMC respectively.

Aside from that, he said that Lumads who needs immediate care and attention can be referred to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) and their financial obligations to the hospital will be shouldered by PhilHealth.

| Published in 105.9 Balita FM Facebook page: DOH XI: UCCP Haran sanitation ‘manageable’, to provide add’l comfort rooms, November 30, 2015

Federalism Listening Tour is Duterte’s Campaign Strategy

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has been campaigning for president since, only in the guise of his nationwide “Listening Tours” to promote Federalism.

Duterte’s spokesperson Peter Tiu Laviña, the last minute declaration of Mayor Duterte to run as president aims to prevent the intention of the listening tour to be smeared with politics.

“He is going around the country to consult with the people. Kung musulti siya nga naa siyay ambisyon mudagan, makoloran na ang iyang listening tour,” said Laviña.

(If he expressed his desire earlier, his listening tour will perceived with political color.)

He said that aside from the sake of the promotion of Federalism in the country, it also saved the mayor from being peppered with black propaganda by his opponents being the culture of the Philippine politics.

“Hugaw kaayo ang politika sa Pilipinas. Nasayod siya nga pag sayo ka magdeklara nga mudagan sa bisan unsang posisyon, ang imong mga kontra maghimo dayon mga akusasyon, magpasaka og kaso ug pagpangdaut sa imoha,” he said.

(Philippine politics is dirty. He knows that if one declares whatever national position, opponents will immediately create accusations, and cases to malign your reputation.)

He said there is also nothing wrong with deciding to run a bit later since the Commission on Election (COMELEC) has set a deadline on the filing of certificates of candidacy (COCs).

Laviña added that Duterte’s implicit campaign strategy deviated from the “TraPo (Traditional Politics)” methods the society is accustomed to especially when candidates eyed for a national position.

In January this year, Mayor Duterte embarked on his year-round, countrywide Listening Tour which aims to advocate and promote Federalism starting from Butuan City.

Laviña denied that the mayor’s decision to run is not merely prompted by the Senate Electoral Tribunal’s verdict on Senator Grace Poe’s disqualification case but primarily because of the various problems that beset the country.

Duterte was able to see these problems and listen to the cries of the people from the different parts of the country through the successive Listening Tours.

| Published in 105.9 Balita FM Facebook page: Federalism Listening Tour is Duterte’s Campaign Strategy, November 26, 2015

Women’s group led flash mob to end VAW

Women’s group and other people’s group danced simultaneously at the Rizal Park yesterday to drumbeat the end of violence against women (VAW).

Gabriela Women’s Party and Gabriela Alliance, along with Migrante Partylist, Salugpungan, Karapatan and other people’s organization initiated a flash mob in their One Billion Rising: Revolution Campaign (OBR) this year.

OBR director Monique Wilson said this year’s celebration focused on the cases of human rights violation involving the indigenous people and migrant workers.

Wilson said the movement is a continuous call for the government to give ample attention on the cases of violence against women as well as apprehending those responsible for the abuse and the causes of its prevalence.

“Sa aming experience kasi, hindi na siya nagiging number 1 priority ng government. Part of this campaign is looking at the perpetrators and kung ano yung root ng violence,” said Wilson.

“Hindi naman sapat na magko-call lang tayo para itigil lang yung karahasan pero hindi natin nadi-discuss kung ano yung cause nito,” she added.

Gabriela bared that the men in uniform such as the militaries and policemen were involved in the increasing cases of VAW.

Wilson also blamed the government policies to have contributed to this kind of violence and the struggle to solve it.

“Dito sa Philippines, hindi natin madi-deny na ang government policies talaga ang siyang nagpapahirap sa ating mga kababaihan at kadalasan, sila pa yung perpetrators ng violence,” she said.

The One Billion Rising Movement was an opening salvo of the celebration of the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women and the National Consciousness Day to End Violence Against Women and Girls on Wednesday, November 25.

| Published in 105.9 Balita FM Facebook page: Women’s group led flash mob to end VAW, November 25, 2015